Saturday, July 26, 2008

Puppy News...

Maynard is losing her puppy teeth! Yes, we've had other dogs who have gone through this stage, but it just sort of happened with them with no fanfare. Just all of a sudden we would notice that they had grown-up doggy teeth!

With Maynard, it seems that every stage of her little life is notable in some way. She was out on the porch with me one afternoon, and was chewing on something... I always check to see what she has in her mouth because she eats EVERYTHING that she finds loose! Well, when I looked in her mouth, there was one of her little molars, lying on her tongue! I took it out, and she sniffed it and walked away. The next day, the same thing happened, even before I could check what she was chewing on, she spit out another molar! What a little trooper!

So periodically, I check her mouth. She has lost the two molars that I mentioned, plus one upper and one lower front FANG! You know, those sharp, needle-like fangs that puppies have, two on the bottom and two on top. Well, she is missing one on top and one on the bottom. The new fangs coming in are NOT razor sharp, thank goodness!

Poor baby, she has several teeth to lose yet, but at least the process has started. We have plenty of things for her to chew on, including a nice soup bone that my friend cooked for her.

And that's the news from here.

1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

Maybe it's because I have never owned a puppy but I had NO idea that puppies lose the teeth!

Huh. You learn something new every day!