Sunday, October 28, 2007

Colin's Latest Project...

My friend has this chair that her great-grandmother brought with her when she came to America from England. It is a 'lady's boudoir chair'. Originally, it had a caned center with a needlepoint cushion tacked all around the center with brass brads. She took the needlepoint off, and asked my son to make a wooden seat for it.
The chair is made of cherry wood, and he was able to find some to make the seat. He planed it and routed it so it is 'inset', with a lip that rests on the frame. Then he made small wooden blocks for strength underneath, and so it wouldn't slip. Then he sanded and stained it and worked oil into the grain.





My friend was SO pleased with the result!
She asked me to make a cushion from the needlepoint.

1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

That's a lovely example of a lady's chair. My father owns several, most have upholstery or embroidered seats on them.

I love refinishing furniture. I've been doing it since I was little. Good job.