Monday, October 15, 2007

Baby Steps...

Recovering from any surgery is a slow process. I find myself pleasantly surprised by very small improvements:
  • I can now carry a cup of coffee from the kitchen to my work room while pushing/leaning on my walker with just one hand
  • While doing my twice-a-day exercises, I only cry while doing one of them (lying on my back on the bed with both feet flat on the bed, then sliding the foot of the affected leg towards my butt...OUCH TO THE NTH DEGREE!)
  • The swelling in the leg has diminished slightly (toes can now be bent)
  • I'm sleeping for more than a couple hours at a time at night
  • I can wash dishes! Didn't think I'd ever MISS that task!
  • The time taking a shower has been reduced from 30 minutes to about 15
  • I have to be reminded to take a pain pill...
So... there is hope in my heart that I will be fully functional at some time in the future. There were many days that I wondered!

3 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

I think that you are doing very well, Sharon! You have the plus of a caring family around you and the fact that you are an active women in general. (I think you get about 300X what I do accomplished in a day!)

Keep up the exercises, that will help you the very most.

Sharon said...

Thanks, Loralee. Some days are really rough.

daringtowrite said...

Sounds like good progress to me, too, Sharon. You haven't mentioned putting an ice-gel pack on your sore knee to reduce the inflamation. Is that part of your healing plan.

I'm still icing my Achille's injury whenever it calls out for some relief, but I supposed your knee surgery calls for an entirely different approach.

Keep up the good work!