Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And Then NOT So Typical...

My son took me to my appointment with the surgeon this morning... Guess what? My incision is infected!

The dr. took a big Q-tip and literally FORCED it into the incision so he had enough 'goop' for a culture! I grabbed the edge of my chair, and the side of his desk and almost passed out. Oh, yes, and CRIED!!!! The dr. handed me some tissue, then turned to my son and discussed how the wound needed to be dressed every day - NO more 'Adaptec' wound care sheets, just plain old DRY gauze!!!! Then wrap with an Ace bandage.

He said it was too moist. The dry gauze would help 'pull out the cruddies'. Yes, folks, that's what he said! "cruddies"! I re-checked his framed diplomas on the wall.... Yup, he's a 'board certified surgeon' alright. Apparently his education included a semester on 'cruddies.'

So no more showers, just sponge baths. I had been wrapping the knee with Glad wrap and tape while showering. Apparently, some moisture got in anyway..... Crap!

He told me to stay off my feet more, elevate my legs more, and 'TAKE IT EASY'!!!
This is NOT going as well as I had hoped.

One good thing? Since I saw him this morning, and started the antibiotics (6 pills just today), and rested more and elevated my feet more, by golly, I feel much better tonight and the knee isn't aching all the time as it has been for three weeks!!!!!!!!!

So maybe, just maybe, this dr. who describes necrotic tissue as 'cruddies', knows what he's talking about after all!

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

It's a sad testament about me that "Crudies" would probably endear me to a doctor. I can't STAND it when they fling medical jargon at you needlessly.

THAT said, I am hoping that this continues to go well and stops the aching you've been having. I feel so bad about the culture you had to have taken. It sounds really painful! (Shudder)

Froyd said...

LOL. any doctor who isn't too high-falutin' and uses the word cruddies is someone you can totally trust.

bummer about the infection though. I'm pullin' for you.