Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Typical Day...

Coming to the end of my third post-operation week. This is a fairly typical day:
  • Awakened usually around 6 am by pain.
  • Take first of four daily Vicoden
  • Take other regular medication
  • Drink coffee, smoke some cigarettes while checking email, blogs and current news
  • Have some breakfast
  • Make my bed
  • Take shower, which includes wrapping knee in Glad wrap, then after toweling off, change dressing
  • Get dressed. Need son's help putting support stocking on right leg
  • Feed dogs, give Sony her morning medication (for bladder weakness)
  • Do recommended exercises. This takes about half an hour, plus 10-15 minutes of icing the knee and elevating it at the last. Go through this procedure again later in the day
  • I can wash dishes, empty waste baskets, sew, write letters, take care of bills, fold laundry, read, listen to MPR, watch TV, let dogs out, feed and water dogs, work on my computer
  • Remember pain medication every 6 hrs. (NOT good to put it off!!!!)
  • Son takes me to physical therapy twice a week, dr. once a week
  • Have lunch
  • Take afternoon nap (essential)
Hopefully, by next week or the week after, I will be able to do more. Right now feeling fairly useless.

2 comments:

Berne said...

Hang in there!

Mom wears support stockings on both legs to help her circulation. She's able to get them on, with the help of a big purple parachute thingy that fits over the leg. But...Dad and I always need to help pull them off.

Froyd said...

I'm sure you've heard this before but...you shouldn't smoke.