Monday, February 23, 2009

Back in the Classroom!

I went to my friend's classroom this morning. Spent about an hour and a half there. She is a special education teacher, and groups of children come to her room at different times each day. For the time I was there, she had her largest group - 12 fourth grade students! That is WAY too large for a special ed. group, but the administration keeps loading her up.... with only ONE half-time para-professional (aide).

It was great being with kids again. I had part of the group while the teacher led the lesson. One of the problems with these kids is paying attention. So my job was to re-direct their attention when it wandered, and then help them with their written work. They were all so good! But an hour and a half was all I could do for my first time back. I also worked with two second graders.

I will go back again on Thursday morning. The fourth-graders are going on a two-day trip to Deep Portage, the area outdoor environmental center. They will be snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and learning about animal tracks in the snow. I remember when my kids got to participate in such a trip. They loved it!

Maynard missed me a LOT according to my husband. She kept looking for me... then would cry... He says next time I'm gone like that, I have to take her along! Yah... right!!! She was so excited when I came home. Bless her little heart!

No comments: