Wednesday, January 07, 2009

New Post, Folks (finally!)

I don't hear from Sue very often, but when I do.... I LISTEN! She's a tiny little thing, but I wouldn't EVER want to cross her!!!

So this post is for Sue, and anyone else who happens to land here.

Christmas is over, and I'm glad. Since my folks are gone, and the family so scattered, (geographically, if not mentally...), we don't DO Christmas like we used to. It used to be a big gathering with my father's side of the family on Christmas Eve. There were so many people, that we would all draw names at Thanksgiving, so we had just one present to buy. Lots, and lots, and lots of food!!!!! You know Norwegians... there has to be a turkey AND a ham, and for the uncles, (and a couple brave aunts) a batch of lutefisk. And lefse, and mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole, and dressing, and gravy, and oh my, it's no wonder everyone was overweight!!! Then after the meal, the aunts would be in the kitchen cleaning up while the uncles would all sit in the living room unloosening their belts. All the cousins would meet in a bedroom and put together a little 'program' for the adults. My two brothers and I would sing 'Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer'. My sister was too little to sing. Now just how cute that must have been!

Then Christmas morning, we would open our presents from Santa at our own house. Then for Christmas Day dinner, over to my mother's parents for another huge meal. She only had two brothers, and only one of them had a child. So it seemed as if there were sure a lot of presents for us 5 kids!

Nowadays, it is just my husband, myself, and our son. Our daughter made it home for one Christmas since she has been gone (6 years in the Navy, and now her fourth year in college in Texas). And over the years, the amount of decorating I do has dwindled down to a small artificial tree with lights, and a lighted garland over the big mirror in the living room. Dale and Colin do put lights up around the roof and front of the garage so our neighbors don't think Scrooge lives here!

I write a Christmas letter each year to send to family and friends and that's about it. Oh, Dale and Colin cook a lovely meal (which means lots and lots of left-overs)

There, Sue, I'm just tired now from all the typing!

No comments: