Sunday, January 25, 2009

January Blahs....

I don't know what it is about January, but I get very depressed about this time every year. Maybe it's the lack of sunlight. Too much subzero weather. Icy sidewalks.

Whatever it is, I'm hoping that it is over soon. I made a big pot of bean soup today. Had a ham bone and left-over ham saved in the freezer. I partially cook the beans separately with a tablespoon of baking soda, then pour off the water and rinse them. It takes away a lot of the nasty gas usually associated with bean soup. In another pot, I simmered the ham bone and meat for stock while I chopped up carrots and onions. Then take the meat and bone out of the stock, add the veggies and cut up the meat to throw back in. It is all simmering together now. Will probably serve some for supper tomorrow night.

There is something about cold winter days that makes me want to make soup.

Yesterday, I baked cookies for the guys, and some more doggie treats for Maynard. She really, really, really likes them!

So, any ideas for beating the winter blues? Anyone?

No comments: