Monday, January 28, 2008

Very Fortunate!

I realize time and time again how fortunate I am. Both my husband and son are very skilled in many areas. Today they replaced a broken faucet in the bathroom sink. Last week they installed a small sink in the rec room where they are building a bar. Next project is to install a 'kegerator' kit in a second-hand refrigerator they bought. Then they will install indirect lighting over the bar, build the bar, install tile on the floor behind the bar, make new doors for the cupboards and shelves, run electricity to all this, hook up the sink to the water line and drain line.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone has a husband or son who can do all these things. I grew up with a father who could fix anything and I just thought that was the 'norm'. My dad even had a motto: "Some idiot built this, this idiot can fix it!" Yes, that is what he used to say!

As I got older, I realized that my friend's didn't have fathers who could do 'everything'. Their fathers had to hire plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. My father learned to do many things out of economic necessity. He and mom didn't have much money, but they were both very hard workers. Mom always had a huge garden and would can and freeze as much produce as she could. When I was growing up, it was almost unheard of in our home to see a 'store-bought' can of anything in our house. Mom even canned apples from my grandparent's apple trees, strawberries she picked from their patch, and other berries that grew wild here and there.

My mother always sewed and mended our clothes, so I assumed that that was what I should do also. I'm glad I learned to sew! I now have a sewing business and do alterations and mending for many in our community. I also make clothing for several people. And of course, I do all the mending for my husband, son and myself.

I don't begrudge people who can afford to hire others to do repairs, but I think knowing how to do many of these chores gave me confidence in my own abilities. And the money my husband and son have saved us by doing so many things themselves...well, we could probably buy another car or something!

What is my point, you ask? Not much, but aren't you glad I'm not complaining about my sore knee??????????? Aren't you??????

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Hey, this was a GREAT post. I remember you saying that about your dad and I loved the line he came up with.

My parents taught me how to can and preserve. Store bought just cannot measure up to home grown, IMO.

My husband can fix almost anything, it is finding the time. I WISH he would let me hire it out instead of waiting forever. He is a really busy guy, but sometimes you just NEED IT DONE.

Sigh.

Pudgeduck said...

The world need more "Red Necks" and farmers-the ones that can change tires-make a swing, just fix anything... after this generation is gone...there does not seem to be any replacements.