Saturday, October 02, 2010

A Day in My World...

It started early today... the pain... I cleaned up the kitchen, washed breakfast dishes, emptied waste baskets, then took the garbage out ... I made it out there, but the pain began in my left knee and right hip. No cane or crutch with me, I tried to lean on the large garbage pail that we collect everything in before taking it all to the 'big' metal garbage can. However, the one I was leaning on was plastic. Heavy-duty plastic, but not strong enough for me to put much weight on it as I struggled to get back to the house.

I would take a few steps, then stand and wait till I dared to put any weight on the left leg again. My progress was halting, at best. Tears began to flow. Swear words formed in my mouth. Another couple of steps, rest, repeat. If it hadn't been so terribly painful, I would have laughed!

What a sight I must have been, this old, fat, gray-haired lady limping and inching my way through the fallen leaves. My husband was on the tractor-mower, bagging leaves. My son was using the leaf blower at the edges of our huge yard. (With goggles, a dust mask over his nose and mouth, and industrial sound-blocking ear (muffs?)

During one of my many pauses to catch my breath and cry, my son must have noticed that I was having problems. He was by my side, offering his strong arm. He slowly walked me back to the house, waiting until I made it safely up the steps of the deck. My husband noticed what was going on, and stopped to say, "Why didn't you let us do that?" Because I thought I could do it! I've been doing it a couple times a week for some time.

Bless their hearts... they watch out for me, do SO much of the housework, grocery shopping, all the yard work, etc. They tell me not to worry, that they don't mind... BUT I DO!!! So many times, I just feel useless! Maybe that is one of the reasons that I sew so much. It is something I CAN DO!!!

Well, the pain pill I took is already beginning to work. It's time to sew...

No comments: